Anorexia, an eating disorder with loss of appetite. It is mostly a problem of adolescence and young adulthood, patients are predominantly females (about 90%). Generally two types of eating disorders are well-defmedanorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. These present some overlapping features, but, in anorexia nervosa weight loss is marked about 15% below expected, with distorted body image, fear of weight gain or of loss of control over food intake. In bulimia nervosa, weight loss is not marked, but shows a morbid fear of fatness associated with disturbed eating behaviour. Anorexia, many times a common symptom of different diseases, drug side-effects and drug abuses. .
- Psychic- viz. anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, emotional disturbances.
- Organic- carcinoma of stomach & pancreas; pituitary insufficiency etc.
- Viral hepatitis and other form of chronic liver diseases.
- Infection diseases and fever.
- As a side effect of many drugs.
- Alcoholic excess; drug addiction e.g. cocaine.
- Faulty feeding etc.
Homeopathic Medicine: Selection should be according to individuality.
- Patients with malnutrition may require enteral or parenteral feeding with i.v infusion of nutrition and sometimes insulin therapy.
- Treatment of underlying organic or infection disease (if any) should be treated after diagnostic confirmation.